Revision as of 17:07, 20 September 2009 by Thebruce
ONI Candidate Assessment Program
- B: Corporal.
- D: Need a baseline image? How about a bird?
- B: That'll work.
- B: Name and Rank?
- D: Corporal Taylor H. Miles, everyone call me Dutch.
- D: z(Buck), you really need to get in my head for this?
- B: Office of Naval Intelligence wants to be thorough.
- D: ONI's running this?
- B: Yes, ONI's running this.
- B: What led you to the ODST?
- D: Honor.
- B: What experience do you have with close-quarters combat?
- D: Experience with close-quarters combat is extensive.
- D: You've got detailed accounts on engagements for Ariel, Jericho space elevator, and Coral Asteroid belt in my file.
- B: As an ODST?
- D: Yeah, I've successfully engaged - you know, this should all be in my general file, Buck.
- B: I need to ask. You just need to answer. So?
- D: As an ODST, I've successfully engaged the enemy under various conditions, before and after orbital drop.
- B: We're looking at a textbook shipboard mission. An orbital drop to some Covenant cruiser over New Mombasa. Nothing you haven't seen before.
- D: Really? Like Tribute? Like Reach?
- B: Corporal, do you feel you'll be able to operate at maximum effectiveness on this standard orbital drop mission?
- D: Yes. One hundred percent, sir.
- B: Thank you.
- B: So how's Gretchen?
- D: She's better.
- B: What do they say?
- D: If it was up to her, she'd be coming on this drop - but they say she's done. Maybe something behind a desk, but I don't know.
- B: Well, I don't see her typing up reports.
- D: No. Me neither.
- B: You were a trucker for a while, right?
- D: I try not to think that far back.
- B: Can you still handle a rig?
- D: It's been a while, but I guess I could.
- D: You trying to tell me I'm going to have to drive a truck into that Covenant bird?
- B: You will get the details of the mission at briefing.
- B: Now the fifth man on this op is going to be a rookie. Transfer from the 26th MEF.
- D: Cygnus? Didn't think there were any survivors.
- B: Me either.
- D: He might be a little shook up. Can't we get someone else? What about Bhasin?
- B: Bhasin? You haven't heard.
- B: An HEV drop over Sigma. Chute panels got compromised during entry burn - he couldn't slow down.
- D: Yeah, hell - a rookie - Why not? Why not?
File 8 (Class 4 clearance required):
- B: You'll be headed towards Earth.
- D: Earth. Ok. Now I know why ONI's involved.
- B: The last time you were there?
- D: A long time ago. A weekend pass. It's the last thing I did before I applied for ODST.
- B: Do you understand what's at stake?
- D: This is about more than some Covenant ship, isn't it?
- B: You spent some time at university, right?
- D: A little. I was two years in when I got drafted. Pulled shifts on rigs to pay tuition.
- B: You studied a little philosophy, religion?
- D: Actually, yes. Yeah. Sort of why I went.
- B: How's that?
- D: I don't know - I guess at the time I had a lot of questions.
- B: You ever get into the end of the world stuff?
- D: Yeah, sure.
- B: And?
- D: Everybody's got a different take on what it's about. It kinda depends on who you're asking.
- B: I'm asking you.
- D: It's inevitable. Nobody can save the world, Buck.
- B: Good to see you, Dutch.