Halo 3: ODST extended experience and game mysteries
Bungie and MS have been created an extensive background and campaign centered around the ODSTs (Orbital Drop Shock Trooper). We may be finding that the comics (Helljumper), the commercials (We Are ODST), and the homepage (xbox.com/halo) will tie together stories surrounding troops of the 105th Division - the Helljumpers.
Not only that, but Halo 3: ODST will also contain an entire sub-story called Sadie's Story, created by an independent company spawned from 42 Entertainment (creators of I Love Bees, for Halo 2) called Fourth Wall Studios (fourthwallstudios.com)
Below is a brief status rundown of marketing/ARGish events leading up to (and perhaps beyond) the release of Halo 3: ODST.
We Are ODST
- Sept 4, 2009, the ODST live action short We Are ODST (1:32 in length) is released to the public by IGN, where we learn of a number of marines, including:
- Sept 7, 2009, Spike TV airs the extended version of We Are ODST (2:34 in length), paired with the revelation of the updated Halo homepage (xbox.com/halo) containing a deeper look at three ODST troops, and some hidden content.
- Live source: http://cdn.haloodst.xbox.com/odst
- Gunnery Sgt. Edward Buck assesses three officers (who appear in the Helljumper comic miniseries), chosen based on classified parameters:
- Many faces appear in the cycling of profiles when the CAP chooses the above individuals. See this mosaic of all unique individuals (meta!)
- The codes to unlock the site are as follows:
- 12-485-TA (Dutch)
- Reveals the video in the locked file of Dutch's assessment.
- Located in the We Are ODST short.
- 15-926-PI (Mickey)
- Reveals the video in the locked file of Romeo's assessment.
- Located on Buck's console in Dutch's assessment.
- 47-074-SN (Mickey)
- Reveals the video in the locked file of Mickey's assessment.
- Located on Buck's console in Romeo's assessment.
- This video discusses the use of explosives on archaeological dig sites... this would indicate that ONI may have found the presence of the long-range gateway linking Earth to The Ark or its connecting facilities underground; prior to the Covenant's arrival in orbit, or whilst Prophet Regret sent troops down to New Mombasa.
- 06-078-TI (Romeo)
- Located on Buck's console in Mickey's assessment.
- Unlocks wallpaper-packs from the We Are ODST Short.
- 12-485-TA (Dutch)
Known Service numbers
- 12-485-TA (Tarkov A.?)
- 92458-37017-EB (Edward Buck)
- 14606-85099-KA (Kojo Agu)
- 21175-12121-TM (Taylor Miles)
- 51033-15973-MC (Michael Crespo)
- 56327-91200-KS (K. Stark)
(not including COMM data for Sadie's Story)
- Scattered are New Mombasa are variations on a binary matrix "J" sign. I've spotted three variants so far, and have been unable to decode them.
O-OO-O-OO-OOOO-O-O-OOOOO-OO- O-OO-OO--OO----OO-O-O-OO-O-O ---O--O-O-OOOO--OO--OO-OOOO- OOOOOOO---O-O--OO-OO-OO-O-OO O-OO-O-OO-OOOO-O-O-OOOOOO-O- O-OOOOO--OO-OO-OO-OOO-OO-O-O -O-O--O-OOOO----OO--OO-O-OO- -----OOO--O-O--OO--O-OO-O-OO O-O--O-OO--OOO-O-O-O----O-O- O-O-OOOOOO-OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-O -O----O-OO-O-O--OO--OO-O-OO- -----OOO----OO-OO--O-OO-O-OO
- IF used as Binary
1011010110111101010111111010 1011111001101101101110110101 0101001011110000110011010110 0000011100101001100101101011
1011010110111101010111110110 1011011001100001101010110101 0001001010111100110011011110 1111111000101001101101101011
1010010110011101010100001010 1010111111011111111111111101 0100001011010100110011010110 0000011100001101100101101011
it translates to µ½_«æÛµRðÍ`r™kµ½_kf�µ�¼Íïâ›k¥PªýÿýBÔÍ`pÙk
ONI Alpha Site Memorial
- In the game at ONI Alpha Site, there are four memorial boards with names and details. On the boards are strange anomalous white blocks overlapping some letters, hilighted below.
- There are at most 30 columns. I've found three variants, and have been unable to decode them.
Columns with blocks (top-bottom, +/- one):
- Discussion at HBO, here
- Faintly visible through story segments is a strip of strange symbols. They do appear to be the same in each instance.